My friend Lisa, from the fabulous blog What Makes a Real Family, tagged me to share five random things about myself.
I’m a fairly open book when it comes to sharing personal stories and tidbits, so I’ve been digging deep to find some dark and mysterious things about me that I could share with you.
What I discovered is that I’m neither dark nor mysterious.
So here are my five super-boring, totally random things that you may not know about me:
1. For about a six-week period in 1994, I smoked. I’m not proud of it and I can’t explain it. Cigarettes have always repulsed me. The smell on your clothes, your breath, in your home. GROSS. And yet there was something intriguing and almost irresistible to me. I had to try them. And so I did. And I *loved* it. But only for those six weeks and then I quit.
2. Country singer Barbara Mandrell offered me a job – and I turned her down. Growing up in the 70s and 80s, she was my all-time favorite country singer. I’ll write about this experience another time (and goodness – maybe I already have written about this? Yikes. Let me check). Bottom line: In the mid-90s she offered me a job. I turned it down. And occasionally I wonder how my life would have turned out had I accepted.
3. I’ve got a thing for boy bands. Perhaps it can be traced back to my days in chorus, I don’t know. Either way, who are you to judge me!
One Direction? Yes please.
Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, NKOTB? Yes. Yes. And YES.
(And yes, I realize right now you’re questioning my taste in music. And I do not care.)
4. I’m terrible with jewelry. I’ve lost earrings and bent rings (omg who does that?) and I’ve broken necklaces. If you have any kind of heirloom piece to pass on to me, please don’t. I’m irresponsible and careless when it comes to jewelry. Buy me the cheap stuff. Or better yet, just take me to dinner and a movie.
5. I had a crush on George Stephanopoulos back when he
was the Communications Director for President Clinton.
In fact, I had a dream that he asked me to attend the Inaugural Ball with him.
I wore a striking navy blue gown. He looked dapper in a navy suit. We danced the night away and talked politics.
It was the perfect evening.
Told you they were random!
And kind of boring.
So what are five random things about you?